Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 6 - Welcome Welcome Sabbath Morning

Day 6 - It's Sunday morning.  As usual, Bob and I drove over to Hidden Pond to walk the loop, then sit down and read through the Missionary Prep lesson we teach on Thursday nights.  It's so refreshing to be there.  The leaves are changing.  A beautiful morning, with the birds singing and the peaceful quiet.  How I do love Sunday mornings.  How MUCH I need the break.   We have honored the Sabbath for our entire lives, and it feels good to me.
In EXACTLY the same way, I know my body deserves a much needed break from too much sugar: too many excuses, too many years.  It feels GOOD to take this break, and I'm thinking of it as a "period of time" that will extend to "all my days."  The Lord expects me to treat his day with respect.  He expects me to treat the body He gave me with respect.  And it feels good to me.

It's a lot of work for a body to process refined sugars.  It creates havoc.  No time for a scientific explanation here.  But there is time to think about this message from a dear new beat-sugar-cravings friend:

I have been paying attention to what I eat for the past year and I have found that it is less a matter of “trigger foods” than “trigger states,” or the state that my body is in at the time.
 
The foods that I eat when I overeat are really the symptoms, not the problem. Yes, they are my favorite cheating foods, but they don’t cause me to overeat. I have found that I overeat when I am tired because I have run myself for too long without enough down time. I haven’t listened to my body (and my spirit) when they are telling me that what I am doing to myself is abusive. Working someone into exhaustion is abusive.

When I overeat, it is usually because I am somewhere that I have to keep going and I eat to get just an hour or two more of work out of an exhausted body.

When I had minor surgery nearly a year ago, I did as little work as possible, said “no” to nearly everything, rested a lot, and had no trouble eating in a healthy manner. I lost weight and felt great.

Then work started again in earnest and I went downhill.

So, I tell people that my resolution is to do less!
Back to Carolyn here:  Isn't that just great?????  Welcome, Welcome -- living without sugar is  a beautiful "Sabbath" for our bodies.  The cravings WILL end, and have greatly lessened for me this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment