Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 11 -"Sugar Shock"

Yesterday was such a long day.  I felt like I was "on" from way too early (before 5:00 a.m.) until way too late.  We woke up to POURING rain which did not stop all day.  That was the beginng of a VERY long day

It was a SHOCK to me that I managed it all without consuming all of the loaf of pumpkin bread (come on, call it what it is:  CAKE in loaf form) that my visiting teacher had given me Wednesday night.

Oh, my ... what a day.

My 4 hours at the elementary school cafeteria is both a hoot, a joy and also a marathon "just put on your blinders and get your work done."  It's a very intense 4 hours with hundreds of children and many demands.  THURSDAY IS ALSO COOKIE DAY, where I am welcomed by the aroma of baking chocolate chip cookies.  (I love it for the exercise I get there everyday -- moving FAST, on my FEET, it really is like a free gym session.) Yesterday a surprise visit by a supervisor and some other challenges made it breathless from beginning to end. 

I came home to stressful surprises:  a workman who had refinished a piece of furniture for us delivered it in his open truck and it had gotten rained on.  Poor guy.  There he and Bob were in the garage trying to restain, refinish his work.   Smelly stuff in the garage.

 Unknown to me, a neighbor had come to give Mom a permanent.  He's a darling, flamboyant young man that I just adore.  They were spread out all over the kitchen.  Two huge personalities having a ball. Ben is a walking party and entertainer (and a professional clown.  I kid you not.)

Between him, Bob and the furniture guy in the garage, a long day a the school, Mom and Ben ... and ALL THE SMELLS of turpentine/linseed oil/ hair permanent solution, and all these VOICES chattering loudly in a small area.

SOS. CHOCOLATE FIX NEEDED ASAP.  Instead I fixed our blueberry smoothie. 

PEACE and I felt a settling with the protein and comfort in that.

The TOPPER after that was learning that we had lost our internet connection.  Thinking it was weather related, we hung around, then finally called Verizon.  Spent an hour with them.  Not weather.  We need a ROUTER BOX  Closest one available is 45 minutes away, or "we can mail to you for Saturday delivery?"  This problem has really hampered our business for a day or two.

All of this (and the weather) have entirely altered our plan for a long-weekend getaway. 

In the meantime, pouring rain.  POURING rain. 

We decided to drive the 45 minutes to a mall we both hate to get it, on the way to our Missionary Prep class.  Of course, had a hard time finding the store.  More rain and traffic.

But our class was WONDERFUL.  What a joy it is to share the great words of the prophets, the scriptures and to be with those who both love the gospel and are preparing to share it. What an OASIS it all always is!

We came home (in the rain) to dishes, and Mom ... and instead of FINISHING the pumpkin bread that ordinarily I would have had half gone on a day like that, I had another little bowl of the vegetarian barley soup we'd had for dinner, and my tea.

And then went to bed, deserving a TREAT.   I chose to read. There waiting for me was SUGAR SHOCK by Connie Bennett, that had been stuck to the bottom of the pile of a book of library books as I was preparing to launch my 30 Day Detox, for me and for YOU,

OH, MY.  It's what I should have read FIRST.  As long as the day was and as tired as I was, I COULD HARDLY PUT IT DOWN.  No WONDER we've been exhausted.  No WONDER we've been cranky.  NO WONDER my skin is looking wrinkled before it's time.

I do hope you'll check it out of your library or order it at Amazon.  It's a comfort and a joy to have the facts, and to KNOW WHAT'S WRONG, and that much of it is easily fixable.

How many problems can you say that about?

I'm off to another day at my darling little school ... but I AM SUGAR FREE for nearly 2 weeks now, and this is a change for a lifetime. 

It is STILL raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment