Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 25 -- "Trunk or Treat Night!"

The vegetarian chili is bubbling in the crock pot and the house smells heavenly.  It's the biggest night of the year for our Ward: TRUNK OR TREAT!  We can't wait.  Bob and I are the Nursery Leaders.  We have two large nurseries in our Ward.  We have the "Big Kids" -- ages 2-turning-3.  Eighteen of them.  How FUN to see them in their costumes.  We have talked about it a lot this month with them!  Heady stuff.

Halloween.  Oh, Halloween.  It's been my candy downfall since I was a child.  There's something about even the SMELL of that trick-or-treat bag, and countless little candy bars so many that my mentality of  "no one will notice if I eat one.... 3 ... 10???? .... all this evening????"  I've been able to control it to varying degrees  some years.  Many years I didn't even try and let it get the best of me for as long as it lasted.  A long time, well into November, since we had 5 kids and there always at least 4 of the 5 who were big-time collectors.  More for the thrill of the hunt than anything else.

More later.

The important thing is that tonight, I'm remembering how for many years I couldn't even wait to open the bag when it as time to pass it out, as it allowed me to start nibbling immediately

This year, however, is so very, very different.  Between the tea, prayer, the LDS ARP meeting and handbook, reading of the Savior's miracles in the New Testament, and staying FULL with better food, I'm just plain old not feelin' it for the old candy.  The kids are tired of it in a day or two.  The interest fades (as it should).  How much I have to learn from those around me!

I'm going to put on my big girl panties and say to myself, "Hey! Maybe I'm the only one who freaks out with this stuff and snitches all the Mounds from my kids and anybody who's not looking, but life is different.  I'm different."  This Halloween, I AM CANDY-FREE!

Trunk or Treat is a big time EVENT where we can have so much fun with our friends and our little nursery brothers and sisters. 

Candy?  HA!  I'm treating it as a non-edible  decoration for a very special event with people who bring me far more joy than sugar ever could.  In addition, we have no little ones of our own who will bringing it home, making it easier than ever to just have fun ... once again for all the right reasons.

Truth:  Bob didn't even buy candy for tonight.  (Years ago, to try and help me, he started doing the buying.  It didn't make much of a difference.  I still ate piles from my own kids bags while they were at school.)

So!  I'm going to go get the chili ready, prepare a little supper for my mom, and get ready for a most delightful evening for all the right reasons. 

I'm also going back to the "Remember" post where I got sick on the smell of tobacco and cigarette smoke at the restaurant, and allowing the old senses to do their magic and make it unappetizing.

I know I'll be just fine, and tomorrow I'll print the happy boosters!

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment