Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 2 -- What is a "Frenemy" ????

What is a friend?  Someone who's THERE for you, to support you and make you feel better about life and yourself. Who doesn't want great friends, and lots of them???

It doesn't make any kind of logical sense on an adult level, that eating something sweet and immediately should be considered a "friend" if it's not really healthy or good for you.  But time and again, I know that I have turned to sugar when I needed a buddy.  Something to keep me company to make the time pass or to make something disagreeable go away, if but for a short time ...

"Friends" of sugar have filled my life!  Candy is my worst -- frosting from a bowl or a jar, cookie dough, cheap stuff.  I don't need the expensive things and have been known to mix up a little frosting (or cookie dough) if there wasn't any around ... just to eat from the spoon.  Truth.

An enemy, well that's easy to define.  Somebody or something that's working against you.

So, a frenemy is :
Noun - A person who is ostensibly friendly or collegial with someone but who is actually antagonistic or competitive.

Doesn't "frenemy" define sugar in a most amazing way?
We're reading through the Book of Mormon out loud in the evenings ... Last night as we read II Nephi Chapter 4.  The whole chapter is awesome, but especially Verses 27-32 , where he is so emotional about his shortcomings.  I just felt like crying. I know he was.  How often have I been there in regards to getting caught in the sugar cycle where I just can't get enough of it.

"Why should I yield to sin because of my flesh?  Why should I give in to my temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul?"

"Awake, my soul! no longer droop ..."

I love that.  And isn't that how sugar makes me feel ... DROOPY.  Droopy as in sleepy, droopy as in heavy, droopy as in uncomfortable in my clothes, droopy as in embarrassed, droopy as in... well you fill in the blanks.

FRENEMY.  What do you think???

No comments:

Post a Comment