Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 10 - "Remember It Again!"


THE Mental "REMEMBER!" trick is amazing!  The very second Kay told me about replacing sugar temptations with the smell of whiskey, I got a headache, and my mind went to being a little girl and the 12-hour long car drive to visit our grandparents each summer.

We'd stop at a restaurant for a meal.  I'm sure it must have been fine, but we didn't eat out very often.  I wasn't used to restaurants.  When we'd enter the restaurant there in Montana, I was immediately sickened and repulsed by the mixed up, nasty smell of coffee and cigarette smoke.  In my memory, you could cut the cigarette smoke like a knife it was so thick.

It made my stomach turn and gave me an instant headache.  I felt like throwing up.  I was just a little girl, probably no more than 4 or 5.

I remember doing my best to pretend it was OK, but just feeling SO sick, and finally crying. I remember being taken to the car rather than having to eat, and being SO relieved to get out of that smoky, smelly, nasty place. 

In retrospect, I can't imagine my loving Mom taking us someplace awful -- but no matter.  This is how I remember it, and it was more than once ...

When Kay mentioned using "WHISKEY" as her "go-to visualization for replacing sugar" this experience, and the headache/nausea was an immediate instant reflex.

Amazingly powerful.

The liquor smell works too, and my few experiences with heavy liquor leave me feeling much the same.

IT'S EASY TO APPLY THIS TO SUGAR.  The only thing is that desserts are PRETTY.

Maybe we can just enjoy them for how PRETTY they are?  Like flowers?  No need to eat a flower!

OK -- PRACTICAL APPLICATION:

Last night was our monthly Relief Society Activity last night.  I wish they would do this quarterly, it is SO much fun, and I just love my ward and my sisters. I'm in Nursery each Sunday, so I REALLY miss them!

Long tables are set up and sisters sit down with someone directly across from each other.  A few "start-up" questions are provided and the timer is set for 3-minutes.  You get to talk/ask questions etc. until the timer goes off.  Then one side of the table slides down one seat. 

Oh, my goodness. It's noisy and silly.  The ultimate gab-fest, whether you've just met or they are old friends.  You wait for the timer to ring and the call to "Move Down A Seat!"  We repeat it 5 or six times.  Love it.

I guess the committee decided that sweets for the sweet were the order for the night because for the refreshments, there was NOT ONE HEALTHY THING on the refreshment table ... other than apple cider (sugar added, I'm sure) and water.

But you know what?  It was absooooluutteeely amazing.  Even 10 days ago, I would have BEEN THERE, as there was a full, professional style bakery offering of ooey-gooey thickly frosted (and you know how I am with frosting) cakes, cookies, cinnamon rolls. All beautifully prepared and fun enough to post on PINTEREST.

Our ward is usually pretty good about their being a variety of things for those who don't do sugar/flour/etc.  But not last night. 

 But I just quickly applied the "Remember!" trick and quickly got away from the table so I wouldn't feel head-achy/sick.

And it was NOOOOO Problem!  I just had more time to talk to my friends and was utterly undistracted.

A BIG improvement over the Gates Reception a month ago where the cake really ruined my fun.

This trick WORKED for me last night, and so does the thought that "Flowers are pretty but you don't have to eat them to enjoy them."

The next landmine: My dear visiting teacher sent me home with a HUGE loaf of her signature pumpkin bread.  For "your mom".  We will use it tonight for refreshments for our Missionary Prep class.  YAY.  I don't have to worry about that today!  Those kids will enjoy it ... if they want it.  (We do have one sugar-free gal, and take fruit for her.)

I came home, and there was some cantaloupe left from dinner.

I had a little bit of that, then fixed a cup of our marvelous tea to drink with my Mom.

And it was a VERY good night.

AND THAT is what I'll REMEMBER!!!!!  Yes indeed!  THAT GOOD FEELING is what I'll remember! Along the fun with my ward sisters, which was far sweeter than any of the goodies presented last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment