Sunday, February 23, 2014

12 Week Challenge DAYS 13-14

I am thrilled to see so many new readers at the blog, and new people joining the 10-in-10 Challenge!  I so hope (and have it in my prayers) that it will be a rewarding and wonderful experience for all. 

When my children were all home,  weekends were difficult times to eat wisely.  Teenagers and kids coming and going and all their activities always meant lots of food that wasn't what I really wanted to eat, but in the name of convenience and going along (and the time element) ... it was difficult to follow any kind of plan.  Gotta say that being just adults at home makes healthy eating a lot simpler!

Today is my Mom's last Sunday with us.  (For new readers: She has been with us for a full 18-months -- bed-ridden for nearly all things but getting to the bathroom, and had a fall the day after Christmas that completely changed our game.  We love her very much.  She is 92, very alert and a spiritual giant, but has become completely handicapped due to osteoporosis, curvature of the spine, and complications from lower-body injuries earlier in life.)

We will take her (Bob and I) to Texas and my sister who lives there next Friday. (Flying -- very carefully and with a lot of planning!) So, today was our last home-sacrament meeting with her.  Spencer and Cydney (my son and his wife) came and joined us for the day. They are cute and fun ... Spencer is a big cookie guy.  I'm not going to not have the things he is used to for snacks and hanging here, but we've more than figured it out:  A tub of Costco Chocolate Chip cookie dough, that we keep frozen in the outside freezer.  And some leftover candy from different things/Christmas on a shelf that I forget about and cannot reach.
BUT:  That tub of cookie dough was a huge problem for me for years!!! We bought it often for the exact purpose of being able to make cookies in a hurry for whatever.  Why did we need it often? Because I ate the dough.

 I'm embarrassed to admit how often I'd just plain eat most of it.  Quietly on my own.  I am humbled to realized that those days are gone! It's hard to even believe myself that I forget about that tub until he comes, then grateful I have it for Spencer.

Today was my "FREE DAY" on the B4L program, and I thought I might eat a taste of the cookie.  I put it in my mouth --- and within seconds realized it didn't even taste very good.  I remembered, too, a week ago waking up with that awful feeling in my stomach after bread late in the day.  So I didn't eat it.  Just spit it out.  And that was that.  Wow.  I don't know that I'll ever eat chocolate chip cookies again.

We cooked a turkey dinner -- one of Mom's favorites and Bob's too -- for her last Sunday here.  Everybody dearly loves cranberry sauce, but another shocker:  I didn't even want any.  The turkey (we always just cook a breast in the crock pot til it falls apart... SO SCRUMPTIOUS) was so perfect without any-any-anything!  I did have a small portion of potatoes and gravy.  Skipped the rolls.  We steamed some broccoli, and had sugar-free jello with fruit.

I was really too full at the end, though my portions were small. I think I'm REALLY getting used to the smaller, more-often meals.  And finding that's how I'm just plain the most comfortable. 

It seems that as the days go by, more than I had ever thought possible, food is becoming a pleasant interlude, but not the dominating part of my thoughts, as it has been most my life.

Humbled IS the word.  Seeing my mom's frail little body ... oh what inspiration she continues to provide for me to be as strong and healthy as possible!  To take whatever preventative measures are possible to build bone and muscle to ward off the further deterioration of osteoporosis in my spine, hips and to the strength and agility to catch/support myself in the event of a fall.

YAY -- SO excited to start Week 3 tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment