Tuesday, March 4, 2014

12-Week Challenge DAYS 18-22

Whew - so much has happened since the last post, I hardly know where to start.

MOST EXCITING:  As I prepared the lists for the 10-in-10 Challenge, there are over 50 participants!  Woo-hoo for all!  I'm tickled to have powerful messages to share every day, starting tomorrow.  But today is my own update:

I was all set to post on Thursday, my own Day 19 of Body For Life, when the power went out and was gone for 5 hours.  It surely made me grateful to live in the USA where this is an exception.  It was our night to finish getting ready to take Mom to Texas the next day, so instead we visited with neighbors (coming to bid her good-bye) by candlelight -- how they have loved her!  Guess which was more fun?!  Packing or visiting???  One brought cookies, and she said, "I know you won't eat these, but maybe your Mom will ..."  It's kinda fun to know that's my reputation!  People seeing me as a healthy, disciplined eater who doesn't do cookies.

In any event, we got up at 4:30 the next morning (power came on at midnight) and it all got done before I went to my little day job.  I am so GRATEFUL for the 6 mini-meals. It has made a huge difference mentally to know that I can eat that much.  The scale is doing great.  For me.  Others, I know, wouldn't be thrilled with this nearly 4 pound loss as I am for this many days on the program,  But these are pounds that haven't budged in YEARS (as in 5+ years) so I'm thrilled.  It gives me hope that I really CAN get down, and into clothes that I've given up on.

I wore my jeans on the plane, and they were COMFORTABLE the whole time!  These are ones that I put away last Spring, as they were way too tight.  By the end of the sugar-free cravings month of October, they were wearable, and now they are just comfortable.  Happy times.

We stayed with our married kids in Austin, Texas, who live just 20 minutes from my sister where Mom now is.  Justin & Brooke, and their 6 darling little kids, ages 10-2. 

In the past, I've just eaten whatever while we've been there -- lots of kids stuff, cereal, chips, etc.  But not this time.  Just the fruits and veggies that Brooke always has.  I passed up with no problem the big fresh doughnuts that were there at the end of the kids' community basketball games.  Then neighbors brought over a huge plate of chocolate iced cookies, that were no problem to just leave ... all in all. 
What a CHANGE from past trips where I just ATE the whole time.

I did have a FALL:  I went to the playground with Luke (nearly 2) and Lexie (4 1/2) during one of the basketball games when the little ones were bored.  The play set was wet from an early morning rain, and I just plain missed a step that I didn't see.  Wow.  I fell on all fours, landing hard on one hand, but was just fine.  Such a wake-up call, however, that this is what my efforts to strengthen myself are all about.  And it will be WORTH it to do whatever I can.

I did miss my 6 mini-meals, my protein and more veggies that I'm used to when on my own.

I know I've expressed it before, but I can't get over that at the end of this VERY stressful stretch of several months with more challenges than this blog is about -- I'm at a lower weight than I've been at for years and so on top of my health game, so much more interested in healthy eating and cooking, so able to just ignore the sweets and treats that have dominated my life -- especially during stressful times.

The energy that comes from this renewed focus and self-management is really a mood lifter!

Taking on the Body For Life challenge is helping me address the remaining carbs cravings, and helping me to fill them with complex carbs (fruit and whole wheat) in such a better way.  (I said good-by to the "C"s as in candy, cake, cookies, cream frostings, ice-cream, etc. in October, but really ate more bread than I knew was wise.)

Now I'm taking that on too, and it just feels SO good!

Now we're busy getting ready for COOPER to come home tomorrow!  Outside is a frozen winter landscape ... and it's been a lot of work to get our house back to normal -- moving Mom's hospital bed, couch, etc. to storage.  Getting the dining room table out of storage, etc., etc.  We love her with a all our hearts and will do ANYTHING for her ... but it makes me more determined than ever to not have my kids need to do this much for me.  Anything I can do to address my own needs is my personal choice and priority for my later years!

She was just darling as she watched the preparations for the trip, but feels so sad, knowing how much is required to care for her in our homes.

We've turned the page for a new chapter now, as Cooper comes home for a short stay before heading off to BYU-I.

This is our WEEK! With Cooper's return, my daughers and granddaughters coming from Utah and Idaho, Spencer & Cydney here, and Brooke & Justin also coming!  ALLL my children... how I love them all and want the best for each of them!  And for ME not to EVER be a burden on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment