Monday, March 10, 2014

12-Week Challenge DAYS 26-28

As I write this on Monday Morning, I am starting WEEK 5 of my 12 week challenge.  So much happened last week between snowstorms, tea business matters, and most of all the arrival of our son Cooper from his mission!  Our daughters from Utah and Idaho arrived, along with 2 granddaughters, a son and daughter-in-law from Texas, and other family and friends that are "more family than family" ... through it all I could have eaten (and in the past have) anything and everything that came my with all the hub-bub. Double and triple portions in a "celebration" mode/excuse. But I did not.

And it was just fine.  How far I have come since last fall with managing sugar!

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART:  Cooper and the great, (and extremely fun!) blessings of all our kids being together for the first time in three and a half years.  "Families can be together forever" felt very, very real this weekend, and I will never forget the great spirit of it all!  I wish I had a picture to post here, and will get them from my daughter-in-law today to post ASAP.

As I got up yesterday (Sunday) morning at 5.AM (so early for Cooper's report to the Stake President and his group) ... I thought "It is all such a special -- how I wish I had something cute and new to wear!"  I thought of a dress I had purchased a couple of years ago for "inspiration"  -- more fitted than I usually wear, and definitely a size or 2 to small.   I had not even put it on after squeezing into at the store, and it has just been hanging there for 2 years!

I PUT IT ON -- and it fit!  Just comfortably and wonderfully!  It was so worth every effort of the past five weeks to have that little dress and sweater.  I wore it from 6 AM until about 10:30 PM, when every last guest (we figured 75-100 church friends and neighbors) who came to our welcome home party last night for Cooper.  That little fitted dress was COMFORTABLE ALL DAY!

Far more important was Cooper, his address in Church, our family, dear friends/neighbors and the great spirit and celebration of the day, but feeling good in that dress was a delightful bonus that I will not forget!

THE WEEKEND:

FRIDAY-SATURDAY BEACH TRIP: We went for a quick overnight to the beach, mostly for our favorite-in-the-world pizza and fun clothes shopping for Cooper at the outlets, and a chance to all be together in the car for several hours up and back.  I found that 1 piece of pizza was more than enough, and a lot of salad with a little dressing on the side.

THE FAMILY DINNERS: We returned late Saturday, for our oldest son and daughter-in-law from Texas who had just arrived. We served an old family favorite:  make-your-own sub, and tomato soup.  I just forfeited the bread, and had a dandy little meal.  Once again, no one REALLY cares what you eat.  I can eat to suit myself!

ON Sunday we had lasagna (the frozen ones from Costco that everyone loves, especially the kids), and I had a small piece, but will do better on that one next time, as I've found I really don't care for it even all that much. But still fun.

THE WECOME HOME PARTY:  Of course we had the Costco cake, that in the past has been a huge problem ... but I didn't have any -- and didn't even care.  There's some leftover, but I know it won't be the problem it was in the past.  We baked a whole 6-7 dozen of the Nestles chocolate chip cookies from the tub -- where I used to eat the cookie dough.  But somehow they all got baked, served and were gone -- and I didn't have one.  I did have a few chips. .... People brought rich cookies, lemon bars, etc.  Those sugary things came and went without me even tasting.

We served WATER to drink, and lots of fresh fruits and veggies as well.  And that was that!

The FUN of all those friends, guests and family far surpassed any thing we served, and the day is one I will treasure for eternities. 

I will post a picture later today or tomorrow. 

My FAVORITE people in the world are my husband, grown children and the beautiful families they are building.  I will do WHATEVER it takes to spend every possible moment with them and do whatever I can to build, strengthen and add to their lives and  joy so that our goal of being a forever family will continue be a great desire for all of us ... What a difference it makes to be at a greater sense of peace with my health and body.  I can forget myself and just enjoy them, and be there for them in the ways that matter most.
FOR FUN:  A dandy new outfit never hurts ...  and a desire to be IN the pictures rather than just TAKE them is a gift all by itself!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your Costco cake comment, "didn't even care." We celebrated pi day at school Friday and I just ignored all the sugary ones and stuck to my pumpkin pie made with splenda and eggbeaters and a veggie omelet pie another health-conscious teacher had made with eggbeaters and fresh veggies. We did great.

    ReplyDelete