Wednesday, March 19, 2014

12-Week Challenge Days 35-36

Shopping With Kelly

I have the cutest 20 year old daughter.  She is the prettiest girl, petite in height at about 5'3" ... which is about 4" more than her Mom has. Thank goodness for that.  Like me, she really watches her weight, and we are both envious of our friends who eat all they want without gaining an ounce.  Not so for us!  Never has been, never will be.  For both of us, it was at about age 12 when it becameVERY clear that weight management would be part of our lives, although it's not that way for her sister or her brothers.  C'est la vie! There are far worse things to have to deal with in this old life.

She is a student in Rexburg Idaho. Last Mother's Day (Spring 2013) I went out to be with her and other family members.  We went shopping at one of the amazing 2nd hand thrift stores that are HUGE and FUN.  Though neither of us are really "overweight" it was distressing how the clothing fit!  Since we are both so short, it is VERY difficult to find dresses that work.  If it fits in the shoulders, it's too long in the waist.  If it fits in the waist, it's too small elsewhere ... 5-10-15 pounds would have made a big difference, and we both knew it.

This particular trip was especially disappointing.  Depressing, actually.  I don't think either of us bought anything new to wear ... I left with some cute placemats and dishes. But what I really needed was something fun and new to wear to Church, or on a date with my handsome husband.

Kind of like cable TV -- how can there be SO many shows and not something good to watch?  How can there be SO many items of clothing, and NOTHING that fits or looks cute? So FRUSTRATING!  It seems so unfair that men can just go buy slacks and shirts.  But for women.  OH, the variables in our figures that make finding a great outfit so difficult. 

And when you're less than 5 feet tall, it's impossible to hide a single pound.  In addition, as I have aged, my shape has REALLY changed too.  What a bummer to watch everything literally drop and spread over the past several years. I am encouraged to find that working out over the past 4-5 weeks with weights is very slowly but very surely making a difference in re-shaping my body and how clothes fit. 
For both Kelly and I, one of our goals is to re-do that shopping trip when we are together later this summer for our big Family Reunion the end of July.  We're both EXERCISING and BODY FOR LIFING every day with a conscious goal of going to that SAME STORE and being able to put on things that look a whole lot better based on our dedication to strengthening our bodies.

You know, it's bothered me for a long time that I would rather go buy something for my house, or a new book, or something for my kids or grandkids as a fun little treat for myself, rather than something new for me to wear.  I want to be excited about shopping for ME and feeling like I look MY best -- even if I am turning 60.  Make that ESPECIALLY since I am turning 60!

It's just been SO discouraging for such a long time to find anything other than sweater sets and loose fitting pants and skirts (usually black) that is flattering. 

I have every intention of changing that with Body For Life, losing 5-10 pounds, and reshaping what God has very graciously given me.  I have every intention of seriously upgrading my style!  I don't want to wear sweater sets and black slacks/skirts for the rest of my life!

While this is not the Number 1 priority for doing Body For Life, as I think about it, life has been easiest and happiest at the times when I could find attractive, stylish things that fit without it being a production.

Sign me up.  I am in this for the duration, and the 12 weeks are going to be the foundation of a very sound personal investment on every level.

It all feels mighty good to me and I'm committed!

No comments:

Post a Comment